Recycling is one of the easiest and best ways to get involved in the eco-friendly movement. Taking out a few minutes of each day to sort through your plastic and paper waste to get them into the right bins can make a huge difference. Get your friends and family involved too and spread the word! The bigger the movement, the faster we can save the planet together.
- The average American creates about 4 pounds of trash daily. That adds up to about 1.5 tons of waste each year.
- Collectively, Americans generate upwards of 200 million tons of trash annually. That enough to fill a football stadium two times each day.
- The EPA stated that around 75% of all waste in America is recyclable, but we are only recycling about 30% of it.
- Food waste in the U.S. is a giant problem! A 21.5 million ton-sized problem. If we are able to reduce that, it would be the equivalent of taking 2 million cars off of the roads.
- Recycling one soda can saves the same amount of energy that it takes to listen to an entire album on an iPod.
- In the U.S. 28 billion bottles and jars that could be recycled end up in the landfill each year.
- Around 87% of Americans have access to a curbside or drop-off paper recycling program.
- In 2009, the U.S. had 9 million tons of glass in end up its landfills.
- Recycling has increased by 89% from 1990 to 2010.
- Glass containers can be recycled and commercially reused in as little as 30 days.
- When the U.S. increases recycling levels to 75% (we’re currently at 21%), 1.5 million new jobs will be created.
As you can see, recycling is a great solution to these problems. It is a simple task that can easily be added to your daily routine without too much effort or money.
Contact LePage & Sons for trash pickup service – available for both residential and commercial – and more information on how to dispose of your garbage the correct way.