Recycling is one of the easiest and best ways to get involved in the eco-friendly movement. Taking out a few minutes of each day to sort through your plastic and paper waste to get them into the right bins can make a huge difference. Get your friends and family involved too and spread the word! The bigger the movement, the faster we can save the planet together.
Did you know?
- The average American creates about 4 pounds of trash daily. That adds up to about 1.5 tons of waste each year.
- Collectively, Americans generate upwards of 200 million tons of trash annually. That enough to fill a football stadium two times each day.
- The EPA stated that around 75% of all waste in America is recyclable, but we are only recycling about 30% of it.
- Food waste in the U.S. is a giant problem! A 21.5 million ton-sized problem. If we are able to reduce that, it would be the equivalent of taking 2 million cars off of the roads.
- Recycling one soda can saves the same amount of energy that it takes to listen to an entire album on an iPod.
- In the U.S. 28 billion bottles and jars that could be recycled end up in the landfill each year.
- Around 87% of Americans have access to a curbside or drop-off paper recycling program.
- In 2009, the U.S. had 9 million tons of glass in end up its landfills.
- Recycling has increased by 89% from 1990 to 2010.
- Glass containers can be recycled and commercially reused in as little as 30 days.
- When the U.S. increases recycling levels to 75% (we’re currently at 21%), 1.5 million new jobs will be created.
As you can see, recycling is a great solution to these problems. It is a simple task that can easily be added to your daily routine without too much effort or money. Check out our recycling page to find out more about the services we offer to our community and how you can get involved.